Fear is an incredible opportunity.
That rare moment when everything within you screams, “No!” but you push forward to the glorious “YES!” Without any resistance, we would never appreciate the moment of truth.
What does it take to do something no one has ever done before? Others may have dreamed of it and shuddered in terror, or tried it, failed, and vowed never to do it again. But for those who recognize their fear yet refuse to be ruled by it, they have mastered themselves.
We need fear, but always remember it’s just a signpost on the way to success.
I look forward to seeing you there.
Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Who was the first person to dream of a grilled cheese sandwich? They risked valuable bread and cheese to create something no one had ever envisioned. For this recipe, don’t be afraid: the key is the bread on both sides. On this Halloween Day, let’s pause to give thanks for those who have overcome their fears. We wouldn’t be here without them.
Inspired by Serious Eats
- 3 TBSP salted butter, cut into three even pieces
- 2 slices hearty white bread (brioche is amazing)
- 2 slices Cheddar Cheese
- Melt 1 TBSP butter in a cast iron skillet over medium heat until foaming subsides.
- Add both bread slices and cook, swirling occasionally, until pale golden brown on bottom side, about 2 minutes.
- Transfer to a cutting board toasted-side-up. Place cheese slices on top of one slice, then close sandwich, with both toasted sides facing inwards.
- Melt one more piece of butter in the skillet and reduce heat to medium low. Add sandwich and cook, swirling occasionally, until deep, even golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- Remove sandwich using a flexible metal spatula. Add the remaining butter. Return sandwich to skillet cooked-side up. Cook, swirling occasionally, until second side is deep, even golden brown and cheese is thoroughly melted, about 5 minutes. Serve immediately.
Please note that some of the links in this post may take you to affiliate sites. To read my full Affiliate Disclosure please click here.